Monday, November 16, 2009

Dakota Moon Twenty

We helped Dakota to the Rainbow Bridge earlier this evening. She simply could not overcome the damage done by the kidney failure.
Dakota Moon Twenty
September 13, 1999 - November 16, 2009
Our hearts are broken, but will heal. Godspeed my baby girl. We'll see you again someday.
Thank you all for your love and well wishes over the past several days. Dakota knew she was loved by many.
"'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all."
Alfred Lord Tennyson

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Dakota update

Hello to all of our friends.
Dakota did not respond well to the IV fluid therapy, and we decided that we would bring her home so that we could love and comfort her. She doesn't have much of an appetite, and we are doing what we can to encourage her to eat and drink. She's weak, but she is interacting with the family and interested in her surroundings.
We've done what we can for her medically, without subjecting her to even more time being poked and prodded, not to mention away from home.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

Dakota's family

Sunday, November 08, 2009


For the past several months, we've mentioned from time to time that Dakota was diagnosed with Acute Renal Failure earlier this year. She had done quite well, maintaining the best blood levels and her weight. As little as six weeks ago, she was still good.

On Wednesday of last week. She seemed a bit out of sorts. We went to bed early, and in the wee hours, she fell off the bed. She took a bit to come out of the fall - concerning since she has a history of seizures as well - so I took her to her vets first thing Thursday morning.

A review of the blood work showed a dramatic increase in the blood levels that we were monitoring. She was started on IV fluid therapy, and has been in the hospital since Thursday morning. We were very hopeful that this would go a long way toward getting her back to the maintenance status we had enjoyed, and until earlier today, it looked like it would do so.

I heard from the emergency vet a little bit ago, that they had decreased her IV intake as a result of a concern about weight gain (about 2.6 pounds since Friday evening). Today's blood work showed an increase in certain blood levels, as well as an increase in the calcium level, something we had not seen prior to this. They have given her a light sedative, and have inserted a catheter to help us measure the input and output. She will go back to her vet tomorrow for further evaluation.

For now, we are trying very hard to keep a positive outlook, and hope and pray that we can have Dakota home with our family.

As we get more information, we'll share with you.

Dakota's Family,
The Mom, Momma Bev, Bandit, Sadie, Molly and Pedro the fish